This news excites me, I know a lot of people love Modern Warfare 3, and that’s fine, but Skyrim is overall a much higher quality title. Raptr, a stat tracking service reported that Skyrim was the most played game of 2011, not bad for a title that has been out for less than a month.
Raptr bases their data off several different factors; including average individual playtime, average session length and total playtime share among others. You can read Raptr’s full report here.
• Most Played Game – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
• Most Played Shooter – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
• Most Played RPG – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
• Most Played Open-World Game – Batman: Arkham City
• Most Played Sports Game – FIFA Soccer 12
• Most Played Social Game – The Sims Social
• Most Played New IP – L.A. Noire
• Most Successful Paid to Free-to-Play Game – DC Universe Online
Some Highlights from the report include:
• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 earned double the amount of playtime in its opening month than Battlefield 3 did in its opening month.
• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim dominated the RPG category with six times more total playtime than the closest competitor, Dragon Age 2.
• DC Universe Online experienced a 2500% increase in total playtime per day after switching from a subscription business model to free-to-play.
• The Sims Social accumulated more total playtime in its opening month than all other social games released in 2011 in their respective opening months.